What can we do as a school community?
Avoiding the allergen is the best way to prevent an anaphylactic reaction. Thus, the best way to provide a safe environment is to enlist the support of other students, staff and parents/guardians to make sure the allergens do not enter the school. There are a number of measures that you and your child/children can take to ensure the safety of all members of the Tamarac Education Centre Community.
- Please do not send food containing peanuts, tree nuts or nut products. Products labeled "May Contain" can be dangerous and should not be sent.
- Please do not send pea butter as it is confusing to students, staff and parents.
- When preparing lunches, ensure that food being sent has not come in contact with peanuts, tree nuts and nut products.
- Please ensure that you child does not eat peanuts, tree nuts or any nut products one hour prior to attending school.
- Please contact your child's teacher prior to sending any food to the school for a celebration.
- Please do not send balloons or latex gloves. Be aware of other items that may contain latex.
- Encourage your child to wash their hands with soap and water before and after eating, and to rinse their mouth after eating, including breakfast and snacks.
- Teach your child not to share his or her food, drinks or utensils.
- Encourage your child to help clean his or her eating area after meals or snacks.
- Read food labels and learn how to identify allergen ingredients. If you are unsure about a product, choose something else. For information on the many common names that identify allergen ingredients on food labels refer to the Health Canada Fact Sheets at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/allerg/fa-aa/index_e.html.
While it can be challenging to pack a lunch when there are limitations, there are many healthy alternatives including fruits and vegetables.
Be sure to check local supermarkets for an increasing variety of products that are made in nut free facilities.
A reminder note will be sent home if your child brings a snack that could potentially be dangerous to our students.
Parents, staff and students appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Thank you for helping make Tamarac Education Centre safe for all students.
Please see below for information and policies regarding allergies at TEC.